Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Que Horror!


My grade school and high school years were spent studying in what used to be a burying ground that became a place where prisoners of war were tortured, killed or left to die.


And nothing could be more horrific for a girl blessed (or cursed?) with a wild imagination. According to old townsfolk, my school was a cemetery during Spanish times and later used as a garrison during the Japanese Occupation. Its main building was a very old structure, maybe almost as old as the Immaculate Conception Parish Church to which it was adjacent.

Like any old building, the mere sight of the school's aging adobe walls would tell you there was something there, something weird, something... In this 1950's photo that belonged to my mother, the walls looked even spookier back then without any trappings of modernity such as paint. Beyond those windows was my classroom when I was in 1st Grade. And on the floor directly above was part of the convent used as living quarters by the Sisters who run the school. Legend had it that at night when everything was quiet, the sound of heavy chains being dragged on the floor could be heard. It was said that those chains were attached to the feet of a headless nun bearing a candle in each of her hands who did the rounds as soon as the whole convent fell asleep.

When I was a lot younger, I couldn't bring myself to raise my eyes higher than where this photo was cropped. I was afraid the headless nun would peer out the window and my friends and I won't be able to run in time. This was like a movie sequence that would replay itself again and again in my little head. Poor me. (Picture courtesy of an aunt, Tia Nene, who was a college student in the 1950s.)

The thick adobe walls that belonged to the Church seemed like a good choice for a background in this 1950's class picture. It also looked even more perfect as a backdrop for a horror flick. I remember when I was in 3rd Grade, our classroom was just across this wall. There were a tall ancient-looking tree standing close by and its branches would cast eerie shadows on the ground even in broad daylight. The window was home to a large group of bats that I would always see hanging creepily upside down from the grills. There seemed to be too many of them and their number was good enough for a scene from the Dark Knight.

This was a gated grotto to the right of the wall in the previous photo. I was actually surprised to find this picture and see my young mom, who was now a college professor in her alma mater after graduating from a university in the city, posing in this scary corner of the school yard. During our time, nobody went to this place. Only the Sisters—who believed, as their faith dictated, that God would protect them from whatever evil lurking in that place—had the guts to go past the gates. Many of my classmates insisted there was a kapre who lived there. Others said there were duwendes. Whatever it was, I never ventured anywhere near the grotto.

This covered walk that connected the old school grounds to the new college building was the setting of one of the creepiest legends in town. The utility boys who used to spend their nights nearby were said to have witnessed the galloping of a knight on horseback right on the walk's roof. Like the chained nun, it was also said that the ghost knight was dismembered, without a head on its body.

As I write this, chills are running down my spine. And I'm seeing flashes of the headless nun sequence again. Gotta run!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how even though we come from different countries and different cultures... the stories remain the same.

We had the same stories about the school I attended, which was a school set up by British missionaries during the colonial years. Same stories of headless apparitions, stories of headless ghosts of Japanese POWs dragging chains in the dark of the night...

Popular stuff for urban legends, perhaps? :)

Indie's Momma said...

Perhaps. Or universal themes for stories to hand down from one generation to another.

Great hearing from you again! =)

Betty said...

Oh wow! Great post!
I enjoy these type of personal experiences. My husband & I enjoy watching paranormal shows. In seeing the pictures it does seem as though this place has many great stories to it. Thanks for sharing. :)

http://thejoereview.com/

Unknown said...

Interesting story, neat pictures-- really reminded me of similar tales about the Indian Residential School (run by a Catholic order of nuns in the 'old days')where we used to live in the 70s. In Canada's North. There was a devastating fire at one time. The dorms were burned down and many children died, including the nun who was in charge of the dorm. But then a story spread that someone saw her on a trapline several years later and that she had burned down the convent and escaped with some man. In the rebuilt residential school there was talk of her ghost roaming the halls and many people had seen 'her' apparently. There were also local stories about wedding dances where a handsome stranger had come in and left with one of the most beautiful women who was never again seen alive... and that when he left several people had noticed that the stranger had cleft goat's feet. Creepy stuff. These schools were not happy places... children were there and away from their families and traditional ways of life. They were degraded and abused. They were not allowed to speak their mother tongue. It is no wonder that they developed a series of pretty horrific stories to 'explain' the horrors. Colonialism doesn't seem to be able to balance the healthy that is removed with a healthier replacement.

lemuel said...

great pictures! may i ask where is your former school located? people with wild imagination have the potential to be great writers

Indie's Momma said...

Hi Betty, thanks! Glad you enjoy posts such as this. I do have another paranormal story in my other blog. Feel free to drop by anytime. =)

http://indiesmomma.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-see-dead-people_28.html

Indie's Momma said...

Hi CYNTHIA, great hearing from you again!

I read about the same story about the handsome stranger. There was a girl, now a saint, who did not get to dance with the stranger. This same man, everyone noticed when he walked away, had fire under his shoes (instead of your cleft goat's feet). The girl was wearing a scapular and was protected by it.

Pretty much the same! =)

Indie's Momma said...

Hi LEMUEL, thanks! My old school is in the town of Balayan (known for the Parada ng Lechon and Bagoong Balayan, of course) in Batangas. =)

The Spokesman said...

This was a very interesting read. I will definitely have to return for more.

I hope you will visit me as well at www.sharonsoileau.com/distantrumblings

Anonymous said...

Happy New year! Wishing you all the best in 2009. Good life and good health. More blessing to all of us. Cheers!!

T.R. Mintz said...

I really like your writing and the pics are great.Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I've been on holiday for a while.Tomorrow I'm posting my next Top Ten list so check out my blog to see if you made it.Sorry again for taking so long.

gladita said...

Old Catholic Schools tend to have stories like that. I like listening to ghost stories. They make childhood exciting.